WHO THIS AFFECTS: Any supplier on Dsco currently using the UPC, EAN, GTIN, or ISBN fields to identify products.
Beginning October 1, 2017, Dsco will begin enforcing two new rules with regards to UPC/EAN/GTIN/ISBN information added to inventory within the Dsco platform.
Any new UPC/EAN/GTIN/ISBN added to a new or existing item within Dsco must be unique for that supplier. If another item within the supplier's account matches the UPC/EAN/GTIN/ISBN that is being provided for a different item, the update will be rejected. Hidden and Discontinued items will be omitted from this requirement (allowing the supplier to discontinue or hide an item that is a duplicate so that the remaining item contains the correct UPC/EAN/GTIN/ISBN information).
The format of the UPC/EAN/GTIN/ISBN must match the following rules...
UPC: 6 (UPC-E) or 12 (UPC-A) digits
EAN: 8 or 13 digits
GTIN: 8, 12, 13 or 14 digits
ISBN: 10 or 13 digits
Only numerical digits are allowed and Dsco will ensure that the length of the information provided matches that of the standard being utilized. This means that if the data provided includes anything other than digits, such as spaces, dashes, letters, etc., the update will be rejected.
How to Rectify Improperly formatted UPC/EAN/GTIN/ISBN Data
The easiest way for a supplier to clean up existing UPC/EAN/GTIN/ISBN information is to export their inventory information using the Dsco "product" export, edit the data and then upload the data back into the supplier's Dsco account. Here are step-by-step instructions to walk the supplier through the process:
- Log into Dsco and go to the INVENTORY page.
- Select the Download ... Results button at the top-right of the page.
- Leave the File Type option set to XLS and select the Product button.
- Save the file to your desktop or a convenient location on your computer.
- Open the file in Microsoft Excel.
- Locate and update the UPC, EAN, GTIN and/or ISBN columns so that they contain the correctly formatted values based on the rules outlined within the Uniqueness and Formatting sections above.
- When all of your data is corrected, save the file.
- Go back to the Dsco website and go to the INVENTORY page.
- Select the Upload File button at the top left.
- Select the Browse button and locate the updated product file you edited earlier.
- Select the Upload button to have the Dsco system process the file.
- Your data will be updated in the next few minutes. If you have any questions regarding the status of the system's processing of your file, please go to the HISTORY page.